Review: Of Harleys And Healing by Darryl Chislett

 



Title Of Book: Of Harleys And Healing

Author: Darryl Chislett

Publisher: Darryl Chislett

Rating - 5 Stars

Level – Adult

Genre – Mysticism, Spirituality

Source – Review Copy (e-book)

Summary From Goodreads

“Sometimes life can change very fast. And, sometimes, if you’re open to a little trust, that change can be wonderful.
What do you do when you meet a group of people unlike any you have encountered before, when you least expect it? I came here to look at a cabin I inherited from a long lost uncle, figure out how much it’s worth, then put it on the market. Maybe financial gain could perk up my life. The marriage was over, the children had moved out, and questions of, ‘what’s it all about?’ were making my peaceful moments few and far between. But now, everything has changed; I’m keeping the cabin, the beautiful woods and shrouded trails, the morning visits from thankful crows and peaceful bunny rabbits. I’m moving here, giving up my city life and casting my fate to friendly winds. I’ve spread Uncle Hunter’s ashes under a full lit mystic moon, listened to howling huskies pay a chilling tribute, and heard stories of magic dragonflies. A biker gypsy-guru has taken me under her wing and taught me to ride, and she is psychoanalyzing the past right out of me. She’s told me that, ‘If things are happening fast…it’s very much meant to be’. And my intriguing neighbour, he once died on the seafloor off Scotland; saw his own dead body and heard a voice, now he lives his life just the way he wants. This winter, he’s going to help me build kitchen cabinets…and yes, I think I may be in love with him. His best friend astral projects, and his best friend’s wife wants to regress me to lives I’ve lived before, to help me find out who I really am. They all talk about souls and egos and see connections all around - expect good things to happen…and they do. Mysticism and spirituality. Irish monks and hermits. Music, motorcycles and romance. What more could I want? Life is closer; it’s all more real - all more free. Then everything goes wrong, it may even be my fault, but I’m told it’s not. Life has gone wrong before, but this time I have friends. Can I choose to trust? Can I choose…not to be alone?


My Review

Wow, what a read!  I was very surprised by how much I enjoyed reading this book.  I wasn’t sure if this was something that I would even want to start.  But I decided to give it a chance and it did not disappoint!

Melissa is divorced with grown children and lives in the city.  She has just inherited a property in the country from her Uncle Hunter who has recently passed away.  She takes two weeks off of work to go check out the property, get it ready and put it up for sale.  Upon arriving she is surprised to see that it is a nice log cabin with lots of land and includes all of Hunter’s assets.  What she doesn’t realize is that she will also inherit all of his friends too. 

Not long after arriving some of Hunter’s friends start showing up to introduce themselves and meet Melissa.  I really liked Regina and Jake.  They are very friendly, fun and want to help in any way they can.  When she ventures into town to pick up some supplies she meets Matt, Twigs and some others that knew or were friends with her Uncle Hunter.  As the story progresses Melissa becomes friends with all of them and they introduce her to motorcycles, riding, what they believe and how they live.

I was very intrigued by the story and all the characters.  I have never ridden a motorcycle and found everything to be interesting.  It has a mysticism and spiritual vibe to it with how the characters live and what they believe.  This also was something new to me and now I want to know more.  There is also a touch of romance that I am hoping is going to turn into something more.  By the end I was thinking I would love to have friends like this, live in the country in a log cabin and buy a motorcycle! 

The author did a fantastic job with the writing and the intriguing characters.  I was drawn in from the first page and was left wanting more by the jaw dropping end.  I can’t wait to read the next book in what I hope is going to be a series.  


Comments

  1. It's nice when you end up enjoying a book that you weren't sure about at first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is! This one was really great and I hope that more people will read and review it.

      Delete

Post a Comment